29905560

Hello I was offered a job in writing (email) and i accepted

I was offered a job in writing (email) and i accepted both verbally and in writing (email). Then out of the blue they withdrew their offer of the job.

I had handed in my notice with previous employer. I gave up my rental home to relocate 3hrs away to be closer to the new job. I have incurred personal relocation costs. My previous employer has accepted my withdrawing of my resignation but is unhappy of me travelling so far (3hrs) to work so i have ultimately lozt face with them and their is talk of redundancies in a few months.

Am i due any compensation from the new company for withdrawing the job offer?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Were you issued with a contract of employment or any terms?

Customer:

No contract was in place as had not officially started the job yet. We had agreed terms though (salary, holidays, etc).

Customer:

I have relocated my family 3hrs drive away to be closer to this job

Ben Jones :

When you were offered a job, which you subsequently accepted, there would be a legally binding contract in place where the employer would be expected to proceed with the offer and allow you to start with them and you would be expected to be available to start working for them.

However, either party is able to terminate the contract if necessary, and how this is done will depend on the terms of any contract that was in place. In the absence of a specific contract your rights would only be those that you get under law.

For example, had you started the job, the employer could have easily and legally terminated your employment straight away by giving you no notice period. If you had worked there for a month and up to 2 years, then they could have terminated your employment with just a week’s notice. They would not have had to give you any further compensation, such as relocation fees, etc.

So whilst it is an unfortunate situation, any losses you would potentially be able to recover would be minimal because even if you had started with them you would have had no guarantee to the job for any period of time and they could have terminated it legally with minimal notice.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Customer:

Thank you Ben.

Customer:

Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

Customer:

Thanks for your help and assistance.

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'