29905560

I work for a press cutting agency and over the last 6months

I work for a press cutting agency and over the last 6months my boss has outsourced some the work to India to be read on-line , with results sent by computer for downloading. He has also started to download most of the papers and some of the magazines we physically read thus making less work for us to do. He has asked people to cut the hours has there isn't enough work, but there are not less papers they are just being read digitally and the results are being processed by another department.
My question is can he make us cut our hours or has he made our job redundant....and as such should he offer us redundancy....he is happy to let rumours spread so some people leave of their own accord thus saving him the cost of redundancy.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

20 years this september

Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier on. All seems to be resolved now so I can continue with my advice.

The employer cannot really ask you to reduce you hours unless there was a contractual right to do so, which needs to be applied fairly, or he obtained your consent. He could try to terminate your existing contracts and re-issue you new ones that reflect the changes but there would be a case for potential unfair dismissal there.

If there is now a reduced requirement for employees to do a particular type of job then that is really a redundancy situation and he should be thinking of making people redundant as a result. Examples of redundancy situations are:
• The same amount of work remains but fewer employees are needed to do it.
• There is less work of a particular kind and fewer employees are needed to do it (both the work and the headcount shrink)
• There is less work of a particular kind, but the same number of employees are required overall.

You need to raise the fact this is most likely a redundancy situation, although it is not possible to force the employer to make you redundant. It means that if they refuse to do so and try to cut your hours for example, you are really looking at a potential case of constructive dismissal where you resign as a result of their actions and then make a claim for compensation in the employment tribunal.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'