29905560

I have been given a pay review letter confirm an increase to

Customer Question

I have been given a pay review letter confirm an increase to be paid from 1st February, plus my yearly bonus. Subsequently my Team Leader has said they made a mistake and had the wrong name on the letter although the bonus is correct. My question is once the pay increase has been offered and put in writing, can it just be withdrawn and can they take back the additional payment from next months salary payment?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there please?

JACUSTOMER-0a3pldfz- :

Nearly 3 years

Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, please leave this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

JACUSTOMER-0a3pldfz- :

Hi Ben this is really urgent so as as as would be good. Thanks

Many thanks for your patience. Just because a letter was issued confirming a pay increase, does not mean that it cannot be retracted, especially if there was a genuine reason for doing so. For example, if this was due to a genuine error, where the employer did accidentally gave you the contract for someone else, then you cannot just say ‘I have received the letter therefore it is legally binding’. The law does allow contracts or offers to be rescinded if there was an error, which was not spotted by either party at the time it was issued. They should be careful with taking back any money you have already received, especially if you have sent it, but any future payments can be stopped. The rationale is that you should not be allowed to profit from a genuine error by the employer – mistakes do happen and as long as this is resolved quickly and not allowed to continue for months or years then they can rectify it by applying the correct terms.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear but I hope you understand I have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands and sometimes this does unfortunately mean delivering bad news. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
Hello Ann, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you
Hello, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you