29905560

my partner works for the council and under a recent job evaluation

my partner works for the council and under a recent job evaluation he will now have to take a £3000 a year pay cut, he has appealed and gone to a final appeal with no luck, they say that the decision is final, his boss says its a disgrace and admin staff are on the same wage as him, even though he has a hnd in cival enigineering, is there anything we can do?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long has he worked there for?

Customer:

8 years

Ben Jones :

A job evaluation resulting in a drop in pay would still amount to a change to a person’s contractual terms and conditions and the employer would only really be able to do so through the following methodsy:

• Receiving the employee’s express consent to the changes.

• Forcefully introducing the changes (called 'unilateral change of contract').

• Giving the employee notice to terminate their current contract and then offer them immediate re-engagement under a new contract that contains the new terms.

If the changes are introduced without the employee's consent, then the following options are available:

1. Start working on the new terms but making it clear in writing that you are working ‘under protest’. This means that you do not agree with the changes but feel forced to do so. In the meantime you should try and resolve the issue either by informal discussions or by raising a formal grievance.

2. If the changes fundamentally impact the contract, for example changes to pay, duties, place of work, etc., you may wish to consider resigning and claiming constructive dismissal. The resignation must be done without unreasonable delay so as not to give the impression that the changes had been accepted. The claim must be submitted in an employment tribunal within 3 months of resigning and is subject to you having at least 2 years' continuous service. You would then seek compensation for loss of earnings resulting from the employer's actions.

3. If the employment is terminated and the employer offers re-engagement on the new terms that could potentially amount to unfair dismissal. However, the employer can try and justify the dismissal and the changes if they had a sound business reason for doing so. This could be pressing business needs requiring drastic changes for the company to survive. If no such reason exists, you can make a claim for unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal. The same time limit of 3 months to claim and the requirement to have 2 years' continuous would apply.

Customer:

ok, would he have to get a solicitor to do any of those above?

Customer:

who would he go to to raise a formal grievance?

Ben Jones :

No you do not, it is not a legal requirement As to a grievance, he needs to check if there is a grievance policy and raise that, if not it is done via the line manager

Customer:

ok thank u x

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/