29905560

If I have been interviewed for my job and found suitable can

If I have been interviewed for my job and found suitable can an employer then insist on me being re-interviewed for that job in competition with colleagues doing the same job at the same level tjust because they have reviewed there working practices and need to reduce staff?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why were you being interviewed for your job?

Customer: I Enquiry Office Advisor for a police force . These posts are managed through a company in private partnership. The opening hours for police enquiry offices have been reviewed and as a result it seems staff who were interviewed for the job in the first place and have held them for some time are now told they will be interviewed for their jobs in competition with there colleagues in order to keep them. It would seem when the new opening hours are implemented in stations throughout the constabulary some staff may have to go.
Ben Jones :

how long have you worked there for?

Customer: Myself- 3 years.
Ben Jones :

So everyone being interviewed does the same job currently?

Customer: Yes
Ben Jones :

This is appears to be a classic redundancy situation and there is nothing wrong with such an approach. If an employer wishes to reduce its headcount, it must ensure that there has been a fair selection process. A common selection method is to interview the affected employees for any available posts and keep the top performers and making redundant those that have not performed as well. To ensure there is no favouritism and everyone is treated the same, the employer has to choose a suitable selection pool and if they need to reduce staff from a particular job, it is common to place all those employees doing this job at risk and engage them in the scoring exercise before deciding who is to be made redundant. As you can imagine every one of these employees has been given the job because they were successful in one way or another, whether at interview or another method, so you cannot use this as a reason to make you unique in this position and provide you with immunity in this situation.

Customer: Thank you. I understand. However, I believe that across the constabulary there will be enough jobs but it my understanding that where they cut posts in one station people could be offered a job elsewhere which may be one that due to distance etc they will not be in a position to take so the company can then avoid actually making anyone redundant.
Ben Jones :

each situation will depend on its own circumstances, so that each employer, their structure, business needs etc will create unique circumstances about the proposals and how it is tackled. This is why there is a consultation process to start with where the employer and the employees discuss alternatives to redundancy and what can be done to try and minimise their effects or avoid them altogether. This is your opportunity to make any proposals that you believe may do this

Customer: Got it. Thanks.
Ben Jones :

You are welcome. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer: This has fully answered my question and clarified my understanding of the situation. Many thanks.
Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'