29905560

My partner suffers from depression and has been on medication

My partner suffers from depression and has been on medication for approximately 10 years. She has recently been signed off work by her doctor for 2 weeks. The doctor has today signed her back to work on restricted hours and duties. Her employers have said they wont accept her back unless on full hours and duties. They told her to go back to the doctor and get signed off or a form saying she is fully fit. She feels she is being discriminated against.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is there any work they can offer her on reduced hours/duties?

Customer:

She is employed as a cutter and has been for approximately 17 years. There are many other jobs she is able to do.

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

Her rights will depend on whether she is going to be a disabled person. In the legal sense of the word, disability can have a broad meaning and there is no single list of medical conditions that qualify. Instead, to establish whether a person is disabled, they need to show that they meet the legal definition of a ‘disability’.

The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

I will break this definition down:

• Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition;

• Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial;

• Long-term - the effect of the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months;

• Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. walking, driving, speaking, eating, washing, etc.)

If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination, which means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.

What amounts to ‘reasonable adjustments’ can have a wide interpretation and often depends on the individual circumstances. Below are some examples:

• making adjustments to work premises;

• allocating some of the employee’s duties to others;

• transferring the employee to fill an existing suitable vacancy;

• altering the employee’s hours of work;

• allowing the employee to be absent during working hours for rehabilitation, assessment or treatment connected to their disability;

• acquiring or modifying specialist equipment;

• providing supervision or other support.

If someone who is disabled is being treated unfavourably because of their disability or their employer has failed to make reasonable adjustments it would potentially amount to disability discrimination. The first step would be to raise a formal grievance. The next step would be to consider whether a claim for disability discrimination should be made in an employment tribunal (the time limit for claiming is only 3 months from the date of the alleged discriminatory act taking place).

Customer:

Thank you for your response. Would you be able to email this [email protected]

Ben Jones :

We cannot email customers unfortunately but you have a few options:
a) If you see a 'share' button and hover over it you can see the option to print.
b) You could copy and paste this conversation into a Word document or equivalent. You can then save and/or print it and refer to it in the future as necessary.
c) This conversation will be stored in your account on this site so you may return to view it or do any of the above at any time

Customer:

On a mobile at the moment so most options are tricky. But thank you.

Ben Jones :

you can just save the link to the page and come back to it later:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/employment-law/8c1m0-partner-suffers-depression-medication.html

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'