29905560

I resign from a company and havent sign any contract with

I resign from a company and haven't sign any contract with them, I want to know what is the legal rights of the company after leaving the job and is there any responsibility remaining after my resignation

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there?

Customer:

Hi Ben I want to ask you about the legal rights of the company after my resignation and is there any responsibilities standing after leaving the job

Customer:

I join the company on 14th of October 2013 and they pay cash salary without any deductions but from Jan 2014 they start paying me monthly after deduction the tax and Ni as well

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Are you there?

Ben Jones :

yes

Customer:

can you please reply of my question

Ben Jones :

Yes as mentioned please be patient as I am getting my response ready

Customer:

ok

Ben Jones :

Once you resign from the company and your employment terminates, you will generally have no further obligations towards them. They will be obliged to pay you any money that is due to you for the time you have worked there, including any holidays you have accrued. Once they have paid you that money and you have officially stopped working for them, then that would usually be the end of the matter.

In terms of taxes, these would be your responsibility so you would need to pay any taxes that are outstanding and which may be due to the tax office. You need to calculate if you are due to pay anything to the tax office and that would depend entirely on your earnings so it is an individual matter that will depend on your personal circumstances.

Any other responsibilities will only be related to fraud or negligence on your part. For example, if the company finds out in the future that you have been negligent with your work and that has caused them losses, they can take action against you for compensation. The same applies if you have been guilty of fraud or theft – they can pursue you for anything you have taken or defrauded them for. But apart from that, the relationship ends as soon as the contract terminates.

Customer:

Cool did I got my holidays pay after my resignation

Ben Jones :

You did or you did not?

Customer:

mean?

Ben Jones :

Sorry what did you mean by your last statement - did I got my holidays pay after my resignation

Customer:

officially I work for them only for three months and I take only three days off which I got paid I want to know what's my legal holiday entitlement at the time of leaving

Customer:

I already submit the resignation and my last working day is 31st of March

Ben Jones :

How many days per week do you work?

Customer:

5

Customer:

full time

Ben Jones :

You are entitled to 28 days a year. For the time you worked there from Oct to Mar you would have accrued 13 days. If you took 3 then you are still owed 10

Customer:

no no as I says They put me on their books from January this year only

Ben Jones :

ah ok, from which date?

Customer:

1st jan

Ben Jones :

ok it is 7 days holiday, and if you took 3 then they owe you 4

Customer:

but legally i am entitled for 28 days isn'ted

Ben Jones :

A year, yes

Customer:

oh ho it means if i leave on march so my entitlement is according to the months which I work

Ben Jones :

Yes it is calculated in proportion. It is 28 days a year. If you worked there for one month it is just 1/12th of 28. If you were there for 2 months it is 2/12th of 28 and so on

Customer:

ok Thank you so much for your help if you don't mind can you give me the answer of one more question

Customer:

I am starting the same business which the company have is there any legal complication arises if I started my own the reason I am asking you because of the clients database which I have with me

Ben Jones :

ok as this is a separate question I can only give you a brief answer but you need to be careful about taking the actual database with you as that would be company property, although if you just contact clients from memory that would be acceptable.

Customer:

Thank you so much...

Ben Jones :

you are welcome

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'