UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am currently employed as a contractor. I have signed a contract

I am currently employed as a contractor. I have signed a contract to become a permanent member of staff as from the 1st April 2014, at which point my notice period becomes 3 months as opposed the 1 month that it is currently. Where do I stand now if I was to hand in my notice? Will I be expected to work the notice period stated in the permanent contract as i have signed it even though I am not officially a permanent member of staff as yet? Or will I still be able to work the 1 month as stated by my contractor employment contract?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Your employment contract is not yet effective so you are not bound by the notice period specified in it.

You may give 1 month's notice as per your current contract.

However, you may be in breach of your employment contract if you do not begin working there as an employee on 1st April 2014 so the best thing would be to get your employer to agree to your resignation now and to agree that you will not be working with them from 1st April.

Hope this helps