29905560

I have been give 4 weeks notice of redundancy to finish 28

I have been give 4 weeks notice of redundancy to finish 28 March 2014. My employment commenced 14 May 2012 so I am not entitled to a redundancy payment, however I have been asked to stay on for 8 weeks until 23 May 2014. Should I be paid a redundancy payment as I will be in exactly the same position at work with no break in service.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer:

Hello Ben, have you read my question

Ben Jones :

Your redundancy payment entitlement depends on how much service you have when your employment actually terminates. If you were dismissed with notice, then your employment terminates when this notice expires and that is the relevant date on which your entitlement would be calculated. So if you have been given notice to terminate your employment in 23 May 2014 and by then you have accrued 2 years' continuous service, which you would have, then you would be entitled to receive at least the statutory redundancy payment

Customer:

The period of notice in my redundancy letter ends 28 March 2014, however the Area Manager asked me to stay for a further 8 weeks which would take me beyond 2 years service, I am unclear on my position now, am I entitled to claim unbroken servie as I will continue in the same position.

Ben Jones :

this would be continuous service, you need a break of at least a week to have a break in employment - if the job continues with no break then the service would be continuous

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX speak to my employer tomorrow.

Ben Jones :

You are welcome, all the best with it