29905560

I have raised a grievance at work. They have upheld my grievance

Customer Question

I have raised a grievance at work. They have upheld my grievance and admitted that the Manager in question was at fault. Is the organisation (based in Scotland) legally obliged to advise me of the out come of the disciplinary meeting held with said Manager. I have received notification that my grievance has been upheld and I have the right to appeal, but if I don't know the outcome of this Managers disciplinary what can I actually appeal against.
Thanks very much.
Peter

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Just to clarify, do you mean what action was taken against the manager?

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

Good afternnoon Ben,

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

Yes I do

Ben Jones :
OK, thank you, please leave this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you
Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. You do not have the legal right to be advised of the outcome of the disciplinary against the manager. If you have raised a grievance and it has been upheld, then the employer can go on and take whatever action feels it is appropriate to take in the circumstances against the guilty party. However, what that is and the outcome is now a separate matter for the employee in question and the employer. Disciplinary action is a confidential matter and the employer does not have to disclose details of it unless the employee that was subject to it had agreed for this to happen. There is not much to appeal against in this case, for example you could have appealed had they rejected your grievance or upheld it but decided not to pursue the matter further. In this case you have ‘won’ the grievance and the guilty party is being disciplined – that is really the most you can expect in this case and the subsequent disciplinary would now be treated as a separate matter.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

Ok thanks. Looks like I have no further recourse to challenge his disciplinary action even though I know that the organisation have done nothing or precious little in regards to this.

Ben Jones :

You can still appeal the outcome of the grievance if you believe that what has happened so far was not sufficient to deal with it so not all doors are closed yet

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

But what can I appeal against as my grievance has been upheld and they are not obliged to advise me of any disciplinary action.

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

Peter

Ben Jones :

well you say they have done nothing in regard to this,why do you believe that is if the person is now being disciplined?

JACUSTOMER-ei70mxja- :

But surely the punishment

Ben Jones :

yes, which is the disciplinary against this person? So they have done something, even if you do not know the outcome - but as far as you are concerned they have disciplined them, which is the actual punishment