taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have recently been told verbally I have no employment as

Customer Question

I have recently been told verbally I have no employment as of the 31st March. I was tuped from one solicitors to another so currently am now serving my forth year as a criminal secretary. The firm I am currently working for are tuping lawyers but have advised, again verbally, there will be no secretarial supported required by the novation contract. I am to give one month notice should I leave my current employment but cannot confirm from my contract the notice is returnable on the same basis due to redundancy.

Firstly am I entitled to redundancy and secondly should there be written notice to me? If so what is the statutory redundancy and how much notice should I expect. I am currently enrolled with employment agencies to seek a future appointment but my time is running out?! I do not want to prejudice any position I could potentially be in.

Are you able to offer me any assistance or advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Please advise
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today. Do you have 4 year's continuous service? and what does your contract say about notice from the employer on termination?

Customer: I have 3 years 3 months continuous service and there is no mention in my contract of any notice period for redundancy on their part.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for rating my answer. Yes you should be given notice of a month and paid statutory redundancy which you can calculate using the following website https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Your employer should also consult with you and offer you alternative work (if relevant).

If you have any further questions please do ask.