29905560

Delicate subject-working in care home for elderly-resident

Delicate subject-working in care home for elderly-resident 83 getting erections when I help him to get a shower.....don't know what to say to my manager...can this be MY fault even though I do nothing wrong...I worry about sexual harassment laws etc...

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. You should not worry about this being your fault in any way or see that you are guilty of sexual harassment. A lot can be explained by the person's age, maybe even mental state of mind, as they could not even be doing this on purpose but it is not necessarily something that could be helped and you should certainly not blame yourself over it. You can certainly raise this issue with the manager just to make them aware it is occurring. There is no special way to go about it - just be honest and state that you are uncomfortable about it, they may even see if you can be moved from helping this specific resident altogether, or at least get someone else to help him shower. Don't be concerned about it and just speak to your manager to see what, if anything, needs to be done

Customer:

is there a danger that by speaking to manager the suspicions may begin...no smoke without fire etc?I worry about Chinese whispers and gossip Ben

Ben Jones :

No one can predict what the employer may think but without any evidence that this is your fault the employer should not really take any action. Then on the other hand also no one can predict the actions of your colleagues and what rumours they may spread but it depends on the people and will vary from one workplace to another. If you do not wish to go into detail you could just ask not to deal with this resident but there is no right or wrong way about it as it really mainly depends on the people you work with

Customer:

Thank you Ben...much appreciated...