29905560

I have a 3 month notice at work and I have been offered

I have a 3 month notice period at work and I have been offered a job with a condition that I can be released within 6 weeks. My company is saying that I cannot leave early, can they jeopardise my future employment in this way- is there anything I can do?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.Can you please tell me how long have you have you been with your employer

Customer: Since November 2011
Ben Jones :

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.

Customer: Thanks
Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. If there is a written contract in place and it contains a specific clause detailing the notice period an employee is supposed to give if they wanted to leave their employment, they will be contractually bound by it. Therefore, if the employee fails to honour this notice period then they will be acting in breach of contract. The employer then has the option of suing the employee to seek compensation for damages resulting from their breach. However, in reality such claims are very rarely made. This is mainly due to the costs and time involved, also the relatively small damages that can be recovered. So whilst there is no way of predicting whether the employer will take this any further or not, chances are that they will not. A more likely outcome is that the employer refuses to provide a reference in the future or if they do, it could mention that the employee had breached their contract. However, the employer cannot really physically prevent you from leaving or from starting with the new employer and the above are really their only options in this situation.

It is therefore best to try and negotiate a mutually acceptable notice period that would suit both parties. However, if that is not possible and there is a pressing need to leave early, that is still a possibility, subject to the risks identified above.

Thanks again for your patience and please let me know if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this?

Customer: Many thanks
Ben Jones :

You are most welcome