29905560

Hi, I have has an apprentice complain of stress today. What

I have has an apprentice complain of stress today. What should I be doing. I am a small recruitment company with 4 employees.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the cause of stress?

Customer:

Hi Ben,

Customer:

We have these 3 client requirements that we need to urgently deliver, they are niche reuirements and require a lot of linkedin search etc. I knew its goingto get busy so I asked the apprentice if we should hire another person to ease our work. Sheat that time said she will like to see how it goes and I gave her the opportunity. This is the email I have drafted I am thinking of sending her:

Customer:

HI ,

No Problem. I knew it will get busy and very busy. I just did not want you to think that I am taking the roles off you,

also because you previously wanted to handle all the roles and see how it goes. These are indeed niche roles and the

only way to find candidates is keep following up with linkedin contacts and calling people. Those 2 profiles are not

rejected until we have formally received email from the client. You have done a good job finding these 2 CVs and they

have been shared with Joe-let’s wait and see what she says.I will handle the other 2 roles, so don’t worry about them.
And do not get stressed out, these busy times give you experience that will be very helpful for you in career growth.

You having experienced these busy times at an early stage of your career will make big tasks in your future look dwarf!

However I understand that these busy times can sometimes stress you and a couple of weeks of holiday may be a good idea?

You haven’t had many holidays since you have started with us and a break will be a good idea! Let me know what you think.Is there a way you can suggest in which the work might be organised to alleviate the stress?

Customer:

ben, u there?

Ben Jones :

Ok that is good, you are not just brushing off her concerns and are trying to discuss ways of helping her. As an employer you will have duties under the Health & Safety at Work Act to ensure the wellbeing and health of your employees, and that would also involve ensuring any known causes of stress are removed and helping the employee deal with this. You may do this by taking some of the load off them, allowing them time off to take some of the pressure off, giving them a hand with work, etc. You need to monitor their progress to ensure that what you are doing is working and that they are improving, so to start with what you propose is fine, but it may need to be adjusted with tie if the person’s stress levels do not improve, or get worse.

Customer:

I have a HR Manager COnsultant working for us. Should I ask her to do the apprentices Stress Risk Assessment? Should I be doing this?

Ben Jones :

It does not matter who does this as long as the employer is seen to be dealing with it, so you could do it or you could nominate someone in the company to do it on your behalf as long a they are doing it properly

Customer:

Also to make you aware. The apprentice did tell me once that she is on medication for anxiety and panic attacks

Customer:

It is her contract that we can send her for medical examinsation at anytime. Should we send her for medical examine>

Ben Jones :

it depends on how bad this is, everyone gets stressed at times and if it is just a small episode you may just give her a few days off, ask her if she needs help then see how she gets on, but if this is a more serious case of stress, where she may be getting anxious, getting depressed, and sinking deeper and deeper, then you could consider sending her for further examination. First of all you need to talk to her to gather information and determine how serious this appears

Customer:

So the best way I see from discussing with you is the stress risk assessment?

Ben Jones :

to start with yes, then you must evaluate the position again based on what that uncovers

Customer:

ok. shall I just tell the apprentice that because she has made us aware of the stress we are oblidged under H&S to do the assessment-is that right?

Ben Jones :

yes, you do have a duty as an employer so she should cooperate with you

Customer:

ok.thanks.This should do for now

Ben Jones :

Great, you're welcome!

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'