29905560

Can my employer enforce me to take a work organized trip abroad

Customer Question

Can my employer enforce me to take a work organized trip abroad as annual leave?
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.Can you please tell me how long have you have you been with your employer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6 months approximately and I am still within my probation period.
Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. Just to give you more additional information that may help you to give me the right information. I was offered the trip via work and asked to be a part of the trip. Work is paying for the trip except my visa fees. I am travelling on business insurance. I apparently verbally agreed to take the trip as leave but I do not remember this at all, I genuinely do not know if I did agree as often I get nervous and don't take in everything when I meet with my boss, but I feel I would have remembered this fact. I was only told 3 weeks before my departure date that this is to be taken as leave. My trip is to complete charity work abroad for 2 weeks.
Many thanks for your patience and sorry I could not get back to you yesterday as I had some connection issues. Under law an employer is able to force its employees to take annual leave at dates specified by the employer. So an employer can choose a period they want you to have as annual leave, give you a minimum notice period as specified in law and force you to take the time off from your holiday allowance.

However, if you are on annual leave then this is your own time and you would not be expected to do anything work-related, unless you had agreed to do this. So an employer cannot ask you to take leave and then force you to work at the same time, although if this was not working but something organised through work, you could potentially agree to go on the trip and also have the time off as holidays. The key is whether you had agreed for that to happen or not and it appears it is now simply your word against your employer's. As that may not be easy to prove as there is no written evidence to suggest what may have actually happened, you can consider challenging the employer over this, for example by raising a formal grievance. This should prompt them to formally investigate the issues and make a decision based on what the investigation uncovers. You may also appeal the outcome if you disagree with it.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?