29905560

Hello - I had quite an odd meeting with my director (not my

Customer Question

Hello - I had quite an odd meeting with my director (not my line manager). During this meeting he raised several areas of concern. 1) I did not attend the optional Excel training course. As I did not meet the entry requirements I opted out and the organiser agreed to arrange a beginner’s course. I explained this and he basically said 'that’s not what the orgaiser said'. 2) Two and a half years ago I was promoted. I was offered a pay rise one year into my promotion. Before I started to receive the pay rise a company wide pay rise was offered of 1.5%. I asked the question if this was in addition to my promotional pay rise. The answer at the time was yes. During this recent meeting my director told me that he did not appreciate me asking and that I had been ungrateful at the time when I asked. 3) We all sat around a table eating during the xmas meal in 2013, he mentioned to everyone during his speech that he believes in a good work life balance and not to work too hard, I said (as a joke) can we have that in writing please. Everyone laughed; during this meeting he said that he didn’t like my joke and that I shouldn’t have said it. 4) For three years I have been meeting my objectives, nothing has ever been said to contradict this during my appraisals. My manager agrees that I have done an exceptional job but my director believes that the credit should be given to my manager rather than me. In his recent email he sent after this meeting he states that the work that I have undertaken is mainly because of assistance from my line manager. At no point has any concerns ever been raised by my line manager so this meeting was a huge shock to my system. Those that I have spoken to believe he is laying the foundations to fire me, however, on the same note, he has offered to pay for a Mentor to work alongside me to improve my working environment. What he believes and what my line manager believes are not the same. The director is my line manager’s manager which doesn’t help. I’m not sure where to go with this and whether I should take this further in particular some of what he said is not even work related personal.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What would you a actually like to achieve in the circumstances?

Ben Jones :

Hi, not sure if you saw my initial query above - what would you like to achieve in the circumstances?