Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
31090051

I run a small theatrical/talent agency in London and would

I run a small theatrical/talent agency in London and would like to take on 2 or 3 people to work as agents. But I would prefer them to represent actors which are taken on by the agency and not each of them having their own client list.

In this scenario, would these agents be able to be classed as self-employed or would they be considered employees?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Can you explain the proposed structure in more detail? If they directly represent the actors then they would be self employed agents.I have difficulty in reconciling this with the second sentence of your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well one common way in which agencies seem to do it, is by each agent having their own list of actors which they alone represent and deal with every aspect of those individuals affairs.

Where I wish to differ, would be by there being one set of actors, represented by all agents. But each agent, just dealing with the actors in say all commercial work, or just theatre work, or just television and film work.

And then, either an overall commission is split between everyone, or perhaps they receive a commission fee for their said department.

So if that were the case, could you take people on, on a self-employed basis or would they have to be employees?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
In the scenario you describe these people would be employees.