29905560

Hello. I know it is legal to pay employees doing the same job

Hello. I know it is legal to pay employees doing the same job different salaries but is it legal to have different employment grades do the same job?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the reason for the difference in pay?
Customer: One person on secondment from a subsidiary company
Customer: at a higher grade comparatively in that company. After secondment finished they return to their home company the next person who does the job is at a lower grade.
Ben Jones :

Hello, sorry the system had not informed me that you had replied. There is nothing in law that states an employer has to have the same grade of employees doing one particular job and if they believe that people from different grades can do them they can certainly apply that practice. This is very much an internal issue anyway – it would be the employer’s own policies that would dictate what grades can do what jobs and it is something that could only really be challenged if there was a specific and strict policy that states only a particular grade of employee can do a particular job. In the absence of such policy, as long as the employer believes someone is competent to do a job, they can be allowed to do so, even if they are of varying grades.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?