29905560

If someone has made a complaint about someone in a sporting

If someone has made a complaint about someone in a sporting capacity by email to the chairman of the concerned club, is there a period of time that the club should act upon this with a disiplinary hearing. For example 3 emails have been sent dated 24th Jan 12th and 14th Feb and the hearing has only just been notified this week. Previous to this the person concerned was given no information to suggest complaints had been made about him

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is this a private club? Is there a disciplinary policy in place?

Customer:

It is a swimming club governed by the ASA and yes there is a disciplinary policy in place

Ben Jones :

Does the police deal with timescales for dealing with such issues?

Customer:

Sorry not sure what you mean

Ben Jones :

Well you asked about periods within which the club should act following a complaint - does the policy specifically deal with this, does it specify such periods?

Customer:

Ok sorry your comment says Police which is why I was confused.

Customer:

In answer to that question I don't know but I guess that will answer my question

Ben Jones :

Who is the complaint against - another member?

Customer:

The head coach

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

Just to check are you a member of the club as well?

Customer:

yes

Ben Jones :

The law does not specify time scales for dealing with such disciplinary matters when it comes to clubs, whether private or not. There are rules that deal with disciplinary issues relating to employees, but a head coach would not be an employee of the club and would just be being governed by them.

Any time scales dealing with disciplinary matters would be detailed in the club’s disciplinary policy, or any other general policy they may have. There is no requirement to have such details though so it is a matter of finding out if such a policy exists and checking if the club has adhered to its own rules.

If they have not adhered to their own rules then you can check if there are any complaints procedures you can follow within the club to raise this issue and take the matter further. However, apart from that you cannot realistically take any legal action to force them to act because you would only really be pursuing them for loss of membership fees for not following their own rules or forcing you to leave as a result, and these would not be worth it going to court for, and that may get refunded to you anyway.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

Customer:

yes thanks that is great

Ben Jones :

Great, you are welcome

Customer:

cant rate this for you at the moment is that correct

Ben Jones :

it's a glitch that occurs sometimes, you can just type your rating instead, thanks

Customer:

excellent response thanks

Ben Jones :

many thanks

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'