29905560

I have been of sick for 7 months with LABERYTHITIS which has

I have been of sick for 7 months with LABERYTHITIS which has left me with BPPV , I have got a phased return to work certificate dated 22nd April , I was called to work for a meeting with the manager and area manager on 30th April only to be told the sick not was incorrectly filled out by the Doctor and also another Doctor had to put on it details of whats hours are suitable for my return ,( as suggested by my works Occupational Therapist) the area manager says he is concearned about health and safety at work and that I needed a new sick note which I gave in on 1st May, it has been suggested a meeting Tuesday of next week, first issue was to get the sick note renewed and back to them, I have no wage coming in, no sick pay left and cant get employment support because I should be back to work according to the return to work certificate,it has been suggested that after the phased return I could reduce my hours if I want(which I don't) , if they where worried about the health and safety, why wasn't this mentioned at an earlier date and why would a Doctor give me a return to work if he didn't think I should go and wasn't ready , (I might add the one Doctor suggested me returning to work about 2 months back , but I new I wasn't ready then)

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What would you like to know about this please?

Customer:

Hi Ben, can they leave me hanging around like this, when I have a phased return to work certificate dated 22 nd April,(which they said was an error after 8 days)

Ben Jones :

Has the employer said what H&S in particular they are concerned about?

Customer:

its the Area manager that's concearned , I'm not sure if he is making enquiries about my condition which is positional vertigo, it is just what he is assuming as he has had a viral illness

Customer:

I should add that I work for Greggs and so handle hot coffee and pies

Ben Jones :

Employers do have a strict duty under H&S regulations to look after the safety and wellbeing of their employees and whilst a fit note with adjustments can be sufficient to pave the way for a return to work, if there are discrepancies with it and the employer is unsure of their position in respect of what you can and can’t do, then a return may be delayed until they have a clear ideas of where you and they both stand.

Even assuming the employer is able to make the adjustments suggested by the GP in the fit note, allowing an employee back into the workplace when they "may be fit" presents employers with a number of problems, not least of which is that they may be inadvertently putting the employee or other people at risk, or possibly invalidating their employer's compulsory liability insurance. Employers are advised to ensure they take account of the advice in the fit note, perform any relevant safety procedures and consider whether a risk assessment is necessary.

The doctor may have issued you with a return to work note but they may not always appreciate the specific H&S issues that may be faced on your return to work, so it usual practice to show that note to your employer, who can then consider whether it fits with the specific job and circumstances and either allow you to return straight away or make further changes/adjustments or seek a more detailed opinion if there is a clear H&S risk that still exists.

Customer:

thankyou Ben

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome. Also remember you can use the grievance procedure at work if necessary and the delays are becoming unreasonable

Customer:

Good Service

Ben Jones :

many thanks

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'