29905560

aN EMPLOYER HAS STARTED A 30 DAY CONSULTATION PERIOD AND IS

Customer Question

aN EMPLOYER HAS STARTED A 30 DAY CONSULTATION PERIOD AND IS NOW AT DAY 10 INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND HAS CHOSEN TO PUT MORE PEOPLE AT RISK , HOW LONG WILL THE ADDITIONAL EMPLOYEES CONSULTATION PERIOD BE? EVEN WITH THESE ADDITIONAL HEADS THE BUSINESS WIL BE UNDER 100 PEOPLE BEING DISMISSED
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. is this a restructure and what is being offered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes a restructure where it commenced on the 25th april and was planned for 30 days until 23rd may however during this period more people have been placed at risk , when does their 30 days commence

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.
Many thanks for your patience. This would be covered by the law on collective consultations in redundancy.

Section 188(1) of TULRCA states that an employer is obliged to collectively consult if it "is proposing to dismiss as redundant 20 or more employees at one establishment within a period of 90 days or less".

What may happen in reality is that the employer makes redundancy proposals in successive batches. An employer may initially propose ten redundancies and then, needing to make further job reductions, propose a further ten. The original proposal would not of itself trigger the obligation to collectively consult. However, if the second batch of ten redundancies have been proposed to take effect in any 90-day period which includes the first ten, the duty to collectively consult over all the proposed redundancies would most likely be triggered. But this is not the issue here really as the employer has already agreed a 30-day consultation period which has begun.

The issue is the length of the consultation and when it must start or end. The law states that it must start at least 30 days before the first of the proposed redundancies takes place. So it depends on whether these additional redundancies are treated as a separate ‘batch’ and would be carried out at a later date than the first ones and if that is the case, then the consultation for them must have started at least 30 days before the first proposed dismissal take place.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks
Hello Lara, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you