29905560

I am currently on secondment with a client and my company have

I am currently on secondment with a client and my company have asked me to sign an amendment to statement of main terms.
They have stated within the amendment that "For the duration of the placement, and a subsequent 3 month period, your minimum notice period should you resign is extended from 1 month to 3 months, and should we have cause to terminate your employment, this notice period has also been extended for this period to 3 months."
My question is, is this legal, can they force me to agree to this under threat that i would lose the agreed upon increase in renumeration while I am on secondment?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer:

Hello Ben.

Ben Jones :

Has the rise in pay already been agreed and been sanctioned?

Customer:

It has been agreed in principle with my line manager and the financial manager, however when this was agreed the HR manager was on leave. Upon his return he sent out the amendement to statement of main terms.

Ben Jones :

When the employer offers you a change to your terms and conditions, such as a pay rise for the period of secondment, they could also impose other conditions and propose changes to these terms at the same time. It could be that they say you have the chance to get a pay rise but only if you accept these other changes, such as the extension to your notice period. If you are unhappy with the changes you have to agree to, then the employer also does not have to agree to the other terms which they were willing to agree on. If something was agreed in principle, then it does not actually make it legally binding just yet and it could be subject to changes until it has been formally agreed by both parties and the changes introduced. So if this was still just a negotiations exercise and there was an agreement in principle about the pay rise, until it is formally implemented the employer could change it or introduce other terms they would need accepting by you, before they introduce all changes.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'