29905560

Hi there ! i work as a cleaner. my duties are: clean second

Hi there !

i work as a cleaner. my duties are: clean second flooor. so i am responsible wheter everything was cleaned or not. but from time to time my supervisor asks me to do something extra within work time, for example check meeting room when my colleaque does not come to work. I am unhappy with this because i do not want to do extra work for free, nobody helps me and simply i do not want waste my time to help to do somebody's job. i prefer to spend a whole time on my floor. My question is : am i entitled to refuse to do that extra job ? could you tell me where i can find information about this issue ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Hello, I understand you had problems viewing chat so I have switched formats and you should see my initial post above. Once you get back to me I will respond fully, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello !

i have worked there since march 2013.

greetings

Hi there, in an employment relationship you and your employer will be bound by the terms of the contract that is in place. In other words you have a duty to follow its terms and so does the employer at the same time. Therefore, if there is a specific job description that defines your responsibilities and there is nothing in the contract to say that you can be expected to do any additional duties or to help out from time to time, you can put your foot down and tell the employer that you are actually contracted to do a specific job and your contract does not allow them to ask you to do anything in addition to that.

The issue you may face is going to be linked to your length of service with this employer. You see, if you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.).

So whilst it would be the worst case scenario, it is possible that they could decide that your refusal to undertake any extra duties is not something they are willing to accept and they can legally decide to terminate your employment simply by giving you any contractual notice you are entitled to. Of course I am not saying that it is what will happen but it is a possibility that you should be aware of so bear that in mind when deciding on how to deal with this and discuss it with the employer.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'