taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have been signed off work due to stress at work caused by

Customer Question

I have been signed off work due to stress at work caused by bullying by my manager.there is a meeting on Wednesday with my manager and his boss who seems quite happy to go along with what he is saying.I wanted to take my husband with me who has witnessed the affect this has caused me.when we suggested a meeting it was fine for him to accompany me,they now say I have to go on my own.is this right
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for and what is the nature of the meeting that you are being asked to attend?

taratill :

Has the employer called the meeting to discuss your absence? Have they said it is an investigation meeting or a disciplinary hearing?

Customer:

I have worked for this company for 12years.my husband asked for the meeting to talk things through before I go back to work on Friday,which they agreed to in the beginning.

taratill : Hi you mentioned that you are off with stress, is this your first episode of stress/depression?
Customer:

Yes this the first time I have been off work and had to see a doctor

Customer:

Three years ago I was having the same problems with my manager,spoke to.my boss and things improved.I feel the manager has turned the boss against me because when I said to my manager that I was going to step away from the pictures because I was feeling very stressed and do them on monday and I would inform my boss of my decision,he said his boss would back him up 100per cent

Customer:

Told to stay and finish pictures or don't bother coming back to work on monday.went into work on Saturday my day off,I felt my manager was deliberately hostile to me.saw my boss in the street and said I had been in to fix pictures but felt the manager was still not happy with them.the boss said he felt that I wasn't working hard enough and I was taking the micky

taratill :

Ok thanks for the background information. Strictly speaking your employer is not legally obliged to allow your husband to attend the meeting. However, if you are suffering from workplace stress they have a duty to care for your health and safety and a duty of trust and confidence so you could argue that they are in breach of those duties by failing to allow him to attend.

taratill :

I would suggest that you ask again and say that you believe that as they have a duty to protect your health and safety and by failing to allow measures to be in place to alleviate your stress. If they still fail to allow you can raise a formal grievance about the issue.

taratill :

Hopefully this will be enough to make the employer see sense.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask.

Customer:

Thank you for this advise,could this make things worse for me?

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Hi potentially your employer could view this as you being difficult. It is hard to say whether it would make things worse for you or not, although I would hope not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advise as I had nowhere else to turn.I am going to ask if my husband cannot accompany me could I take an impartial observer along with me.the meeting which I requested is tomorrow at 12 o'clock.perhaps when the meeting has taken place I can get back to you.thank you again.

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
No problem, at the very least you should expect to be allowed to take a work colleague.

All the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I rate your answers does this cost me more money and if so how much have I spent already?

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Hi there is no need to rate again as this is a follow on question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon taratill.meeting lasted three quarters of an hour.I took a work colleague along to support me by the name of Kate.explained I wasn't there to cause trouble my husband had asked for meeting to clear the air before I go back to work on Friday. When I asked my manager(Rupert)why he had said"I was deliberately sabotaging work and if I didn't stay behind and finish pictures don't bother coming back to work on Monday".he denied he had said this.at the time another work colleague was present,when Rupert started shouting at me he went upstairs.he did hear him say about sabotage but not about not returning to work on Monday. As Rupert keeps sending work back with bits in them I suggested the workplace needs a thorough clean and an extraction fan fitted.we cut mdf(which I believe can cause cancer)and sand wooden frames in the same area as we assemble pictures.time needs to be factored into the working day to do this. Asked boss(Mike) how we could air problems before they got to this stage,he replied"this was a two way affair' I feel my questions were not fully answered and this situation will arise again in the future. Sorry this is so long,thanks, bans

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
Hi if you do not feel satisfied with the response then I would suggest that you raise a formal grievance. Your employer cannot dismiss you for raising a grievance and should then fully answer your concerns.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning taratill ,went back to work on Friday everything went ok .on Thursday the doctor rang to see how the meeting went and how I was.said I would go back full time and if I have any problems I would go to see her.thanks for your support but I feel I should leave things were they are now.I have rated you but I wish I had left it a bit later because the service you have provided has been excellent.tried to upgrade you but but it would have cost another£22 thanks again for your advise and support. Babs

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
No problem Babs, glad you are back at work. All the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jenny m,thought you might like to know my manager Rupert handed his notice in on Friday.thanks again.

Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
That must be a relief for you! All the best.