taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have another already. I am taking a Witness who I have called

I have another already.
I am taking a Witness who I have called as claimant he is a willing witness and has already submitted a witness statement.
My question is I presume I get to discuse his statement like cross examination with him, But am I allowed to ask him about points that are in the ET3 or the respondents statements but are not mentioned in his witness statement?
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello again, can you explain the situation in more detail, why is the issue not referred to in the witness statement in the first place?

Customer:

The issue is not refered to in the Witness statement because this matter has never been brought up before except in the respondents witness statement and that was the first time I was aware of it. and then also linked with my previous question

taratill :

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX way to question a witness is to refer them to something in their statement and to ask them a question about something in their statement. The other side may object if you ask questions unrelated to the content of the witness statement. As you can cross examine the other side on the issue I would not worry about it too much. You may be able to find a way of asking the question by linking it to a point in the statement and this would be the best way of getting round it.

Customer:

So just so i am clear for example :- if i say "as you state re the managers conduct in paragraph 2 would you also say that his staff under him conduct was unjust."

taratill :

Yes you could ask that.

Customer:

okay thanks just one final point if as i am self representing and when I am being cross examined I presume I can object to a question as a lot of their statement is irrelevant to the case eg my family life being questioned as this hearing is only a prelimeray hearing looking at 2 points only?

taratill :

Yes you can object to a point for it being irrelevant and personal information.

Customer:

Thank You

taratill :

No problem at all.

Customer:

Thank You