29905560

can an employer stop you taking fluids during a working day

can an employer stop you taking fluids during a working day ( construction)

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for please?

Customer:

it is my husbands job he started it 2 month ago

Ben Jones :

OK thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it with me. I am in a tribunal today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you this afternoon. There is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you

Customer:

my husband has been in this trade for over 30 years and has never known this,

Ben Jones : The employer will have specific health and safety responsibilities in relation to its employees. When it comes to fluid intakes this would be covered by the requirement to provide suitable welfare facilities. This is a requirement that they can only avoid if it is not reasonably practicable to do so, or there are other concerns for example in terms of safety where having liquids in proximity to machinery that can be affected by it can be dangerous. But in the event that this is not the case, there is no reasonable excuse as to why employees should not be allowed to consume fluids, especially when it comes to water. This leaflet from the Health and Safety Executive deals with this issue
Ben Jones : http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg293.pdf
Customer:

this is a very manual job and fluids need to be taken onbored. what are the rules for having breaks during a working day

Ben Jones : Workers are entitled to 20 minutes uninterrupted rest away from their workstations for every full 6 hours of work
Ben Jones :

Has this clarified your position?

Hello, could you please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this – this is needed so I can either keep the question open or close it if no further advice is required? Thank you