29905560

I have a current Final Written Warning for a breech of security

I have a current Final Written Warning for a breech of security rules, issued Aug2013.
If then investigated for failure to follow policy and procedure in relation to vehicle accident reporting could you be dismissed?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

22years

Ben Jones :

OK thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it with me. I am in a tribunal today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you this afternoon. There is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you

Customer: Do need any more information in relation to my question?
Ben Jones :

No thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been preparing my answer this afternoon which you can find below.

A final written warning is issued when there has been a serious misconduct or performance issue which is not serious enough to justify instant dismissal. The warning would usually be for a specified period of time, during which it would be considered to remain ‘live’

In the event that further disciplinary action is necessary, when deciding on the appropriate penalty, the employer can take into account any live warning on the employee's personnel file, but may only take into account any expired warning if the circumstances justified dismissal anyway (meaning that regardless of past record, if the current issue would have resulted in dismissal anyway because it was serious enough, the employer can consider live and expired warnings, but if it was not serious for instant dismissal, the employer can only take into account current live warnings).

So live warnings can be taken into account by the employer even where they relate to a different type of conduct to the matter which is the subject of the current disciplinary proceedings. For example in the case of Auguste Noel Ltd v Curtis it was decided that it was undesirable to lay down any rules as to when such a previous warning should or should not be taken into account, but that "it is essentially a matter of balance, of doing what is fair and just".

What should also be considered by the employer is your length of service – 22 years is a very long time so the employer should not just rely on there being a further warning following a live warning to dismiss. They need to show that the two issues together were serious enough to tip the balance in favour of dismissal. But if the current warning was not something that would generally be considered worthy of a written or final warning then it is unlikely it could be used together with the live warning to justify dismissal.

Hope this clarifies your position?

Hello Jason, could you please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this – this is needed so I can either keep the question open or close it if no further advice is required? Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thought I had closed this down.
Please close
No it hasn't been closed yet as your rating is required, if you could please select that then it will close the question, many thanks