29905560

I am going to attend mediation prior to a civil trial where

I am going to attend mediation prior to a civil trial where I am being sued. I have no issue in going to mediation, but do not want to personally meet with the claimants for a variety of reasons. Is it possible to ask the mediator to be the go between?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Could you explain the circumstances surrounding the case please?

Ben Jones :

Actually I have checked the history on our system, if you are going to the small claims court then you may be using the Small Claims Mediation Service and most cases there are dealt with over the phone.

Customer:

Hi Ben. I am being sued by my former employers for breach of fiduciary duty. They have asked for external mediation, which I have accepted, however, for personal reasons (I will be attending on my own and I suffer from extreme anxiety), I do not want to be in the same room as them. Is this possible - I was led to believe that a mediation could be done this way.

Ben Jones :

If you are using another service then usually these would be held in a common room where the parties would meet and they would each then have their own separate rooms where they can discuss their own views in private and where the mediator would visit as necessary to convey the other party's response and discuss how best to proceed

Customer:

This is not small claims court and the mediation is taking place at a lawyers office in Norwich

Ben Jones :

So if necessary it is possible just to have the separate rooms for each party and not meet in a common room

Ben Jones :

But that would need to be done with the agreement of the mediator and the other party

Customer:

Yes, I thought so - I will ask the mediator if this can be done. Thanks

Ben Jones :

You are welcome

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'