29905560

I am the line manager for someone who has accused me of bullying

I am the line manager for someone who has accused me of bullying no one has ever witnessed this and I have not been accused in the past but some managers have been in trouble with HR this person is a supervisor and this follows a request for this person to work the hours they are contracted to and not leave early.
I am a consultant manager and this will affect the way my client sees me this would be very damaging and totally distressing to me.
Can I take them to court for slander to stop this fad of accusations.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is this issue being pursued internally through the employer?

Customer:

Not at the moment it does not affectthe senior manager

Customer:

Hi Ben,

Customer:

This does not affect the senior manager as it is aimed at me, there will be an inquiry and I am sure they will disregard the supervisors claim.

Customer:

but can I shake him personally by making him aware I will not tolerate this false claim and will act.

Ben Jones :

Good morning, whilst you can certainly make your position clear and advise this person that their actions mean this is possible defamation, actually taking them to court over this is certainly not recommended. Defamation claims are very complex and expensive, you are easily looking at a five-figure sum to pursue this through the courts and without guarantee that you will get anything in return. It is not aimed at such disputes and it is mainly used for more high-profile matters where the stakes are much higher and the costs would be justifiable. So do not concern yourself with suing this person – this is unrealistic. However, you may certainly make it clear that this is potential defamation and that you are considering your legal position, just to send the message that this is not acceptable ad that you may take the matter further (even if you don’t, the warning could be effective).

Apart from that, this is really an internal matter that should be dealt with through the employer’s own complaints procedures, such as by raising a grievance. They can investigate the allegations and make a decision on what, if anything needs to be done.

Customer:

This is very good advice Ben.

Customer:

The Company will be reviewing this and of course should do the right thing.

Customer:

I am very pleased with your reply and thought as much.

Customer:

Excellent.

Customer:

Mark Bolton.