29905560

Hi Ben, I have another question for you if thats ok. We have

Customer Question

Hi Ben, I have another question for you if that's ok. We have another employee who is full-time and is 71, therefore, over retirement age. We would like to retain his services but on reduced hours. How do we go about this as I appreciate that we cannot force an employee to retire? Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. firstly can you tell me if your employee is willing to accept the changes

JACUSTOMER-a256h9mc- :

He has mentioned casually that he would like to reduce his hours, we have not approached him formally

Ben Jones :

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded. I have a meting this afternoon and will get my advice ready for you for later this afternoon regards ben

Ben Jones :

Thanks for your patience. You are correct that you cannot force the employee to retire as the forced retirement of employees has now been abolished. Similarly,. You cannot force him to reduce his hours just because he is getting old, or for any other reason relating to his age.

However, if he is voluntarily willing to reduce his hours then you can certainly agree something with him as long as it is apparent that this was instigated by him, rather than by you. So if he has already casually indicated he is willing to reduce his hours then you may discuss the matter with him further and see what arrangement you can come to. I suggest you casually ask him whether this is something he is still willing to consider and if he confirms it is then you should arrange a meeting with him to discuss the options and agree on a way forward. However, if he indicates that this is no longer something he is interested in, then you should leave the matter alone.

If you come to an arrangement, you should issue a new contract to reflect the changes or just introduce an amendment to the current contract, which needs to be signed by him to indicate his acceptance to the changes.

Hope this clarifies your position?

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Hello Grace, could you please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this – this is needed so I can either keep the question open or close it if no further advice is required? Thank you