29905560

I have signed a contract for job A and have now changed my

I have signed a contract for job A and have now changed my mind as I have been made a better offer by Job B - I'm due to start job A on the 7th July can I get out of the contract?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is there a notice period to quit?
Customer:

1 month

Customer:

Although I have not yet started the role.

Ben Jones :

Were you headhunted for this role?

Customer:

Job A no Job B I was contacted through Linkedin

Ben Jones :

Ok well when you agree to take a job and sign a contract you are committing yourself to starting that job and the employer is committing themselves to taking you on. If you decide not to proceed with the job you could potentially be acting in breach of contract. If you have a notice period that would generally apply only once you have started the job. Until then you would still be entitled to give some reasonable notice period although the employer could potentially pursue you for any losses incurred as a result of your breach. Saying that, such claims are quite rare and only would be worth pursuing if you were a high-end executive who was headhunted, where the employer had spent a lot on recruiting you or if they were now having to spend a lot to find a quick replacement. As you can imagine, this would be the exception rather than the norm which makes such claims unlikely. You are more likely to upset the employer and affect your professional relationship with them rather than face a claim.

Customer:

OK Thank you - I will inform them that I will not be starting on the 7th and fully explain the reasons for not strarting.

Ben Jones :

they may of course agree to let you go and draw a line under this, allowing you not to take up the job, it is just if they refuse to do so and you leave anyway that the above would become relevant

Customer:

OK thank you - hopfully they will be OK with this.

Ben Jones :

hope so too, all the best

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'