13262538

Hi. I have been for a job interview today and been offered

Customer Question

Hi. I have been for a job interview today and been offered the job - its perfect for me, but was only advertised recently. I am a teacher. The normal notice period is three months notice (or one term) which would have meant I had to resign on on April 31st. The new job starts on September 1st, so if I resign today I have only given 2 months notice. At the interview the reference from my current Principal said words to the effect that 'he is only available in January' - which I thought was a bit unethical. There has been a change of ownership and may staff have left anyway, and the College is very unstable and may not survive, and its a very unhappy place to work. Also, I believe they are in breach of contract by promising me hings that never happened (a long time in the past). I want to get out of my existing contract, and start my new job. If there are form of wording that works. I don't want to get nasty, but to be honest I could be made redundant next year anyway. I will retire in around 3 years and the new job is 0.6 (3 days which is perfect for me.) unfortunately due to moving I have mislaid my contract.) Also, they can employ someone cheaper than me, so they are likely to benefit longer term. Should I offer not to be paid for August as settlement, or wait for them to make an offer. Thanks, ***** *****

PS - I asked this 3 hours ago - so why no replys - thanks

Your current head was entitled to confirm when you would be available - it was not unethical I am afraid.
I am afraid that this is a matter for negotiation - there is no magic wording involved at all
There is no mileage in the Breach of Contract argument - but the other points you make could be accepted by the Head
Please ask if you need further details