29905560

my husband has a van as part or his job, he is due to finish

Customer Question

my husband has a van as part or his job, he is due to finish his current job on Friday and start work for a new company on Monday, if he leaves on Thursday without saying anything and comes home using his van will he be breaking any law. he currently works in Scotland and lives in the north east. his current company has offered to bring him home on Friday as they say they need the van in Scotland for the new employee on saturday

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When you say he leaves on Fri, is he actually due at work on that day?

Customer: Yes
Ben Jones :

If he is due to work on the Fri then assuming there are no specific rules preventing him from taking the van home on a normal day like today, he can do so. It would have been an issue if he took the van with him today and his last day was also today as he would be taking company property with him after his employment has terminated. However, it is also an issue as to what the employer has requested – if they have specifically requested that he does not take it with him then he would be guilty of insubordination and this is a disciplinary issue. The good news is that this is rather irrelevant at this stage as there is little the employer can do in terms of disciplinary action if his last day is tomorrow so he will just leave on a bad note. But it would not affect any money he receives under contract as they cannot withhold that for him doing this.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help. he has now left the company so you will be able to close the question. once again thank you

Yes I certainly will, thanks and all the best