taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

am I being treated unfairly I have been on a night shift

am I being treated unfairly
I have been on a night shift for 1 year 9 months,my contract is for days,i have now been asked to work days for 2 weeks and also 3 of my coleagues every 12 weeks to make way for another man to come on, this will mean I lose about £2000 a year,they say its for training but I am not booked on anything, we believe they are just looking after this other employee n
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

Do you believe that by them doing this you are being discriminated against on the basis of sex, age race, religion, disability, pregnancy or for raising a health and safety complaint?

Customer:

no I don't believe I am being discriminated against in anyway stated,i just believe that being forced to change shift is unfair as the decision was made without my approval

taratill :

Hi I agree that it is unfair on you but unfortunately the law does not act to protect you in these circumstances as employees have limited rights in employment law until they have 2 years service. This is because there is no right to bring an unfair dismissal claim until you have 2 years service. This means that an employee can effectively change your terms (i.e. change your shifts) or even terminate your employment and you have no recourse in law as you do not have adequate service. The exception to this is where you can show that you are discriminated against.

taratill :

You can, of course, raise a grievance about this but there will be nothing you can do if your employer refuses to change your shifts unforunatley.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.

taratill :

If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer.

taratill :

Thank you and all the best.