taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have reduced my hours from full time to part time 3 1/2 days

I have reduced my hours from full time to part time 3 1/2 days per week. The MD has now indicated that my hours do not fit in with company requirements and there is no continuity with my role. They are talking of bringing in someone else to work full time and take my title of office manager from me, I will be required to train this person also. Can the company reduce my salary because of me losing my title and fitting in the office with any other jobs that require undertaking, i.e. Just as an office administrator? Your advice would be appreciated. M Meadows
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, quite happy to wait for definitive answer. If there is anything further you require to know, please contact me. Mary Meadows

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will be 3 years on 15 August this year and my reduced hours 22.5 instead of 37.5 started on 21 April 2014
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Did you receive a new contract with the reduced hours on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
have you been offered the full time role back and if so could you take it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They want me to go back to full time but I look after our grandson, hence the reduced hours. Because of this, they want to bring someone in to do my job and for me to take a back seat and fill in on normal admin functions
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
have you been offered redundancy as an alternative? and do you agree that this job requires a full time person?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No redundancy has been offered and what they're saying is that at the moment we aren't very busy but they need someone full time in order to help with marketing functions to improve sales
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
did your original full time role involve marketing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not specifically but any administration that is required is part of my function
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. Your employer has created a redundancy situation in that it has decided that your original role (that could be completed in 3 days) no longer exists and that it now requires a full time person to carry out your role with additional marketing duties. If you are being asked to work 3 days on other tasks then they should be afforded the same salary and status or you should be offered redundancy pay as an alternative to taking a lesser role and / or salary.

If your employer does attempt to reduce your salary I would suggest you raise a grievance for the reasons I have stated above.

All the best with this.

If you have any further questions please ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** able to print the total conversations for my own peace of mind?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Yes no problem you are free to print this. Please remember to rate my answer though as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters