Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

I returned to work 3 weeks ago following 6 months maternity

I returned to work 3 weeks ago following 6 months maternity leave. When I returned to work I took 5 out of the 10 days holiday that had accrued during my maternity leave. I have asked to take the residual 5 days off next week as I am moving house.

My contract of employment states that I have to give 2 weeks notice which I did but they have only informed me today that I can only have 1 day off.

Can I insist that I am entitled to the time off and if so how should I phrase it.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.

What type of job do you do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Alex Hughes: I am a receptionist in a company that employs circa 100 people.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jodie.

The law which governs when holiday can be taken by employees is Working Time Regulations 1998.

Under the regulations and seemingly by your employment contract you are required to give at least 2 weeks notice to take 1 week off.

But your employer can object to you taking this time off. Your employer can give notice that you cannot take leave on a particular day or days and they only need to give the same number of days notice as the leave requested e.g. if you're taking one week off then they only need to give one weeks notice, which they seem to have done.

You can have a look at the regulations here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/regulation/15/made

You can raise a grievance/formal complaint about the refusal to let you take time off and the issue regarding accrual. But as far as I can see from the law they have complied with the regulations.