taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

can I bring a case against a previous employer even though

can I bring a case against a previous employer even though its three years ago
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What is the case about?

Customer:

Hi Jenny 3 years ago I was abused by a co worker and this had went on for some time. After being off sick I was able to open up about it and told my boss. However he did nothing and it was known that he favoured this co worker, even though the co worker admitted what he had done. I started a case against my employer as I didn't feel safe in work but due to I'll health and the way my employer behaved I dropped the case and resigned. I had worked there for 13 years. Only now I still feel very angry and having to work now near my last job is difficult.

taratill :

Hi I am very sorry this has happened to you. The problem is that claims against an employer have strict time limits. A claim of constructive dismissal which is the claim that is relevant to your situation must be brought within 3 months of resignation. The tribunal does have jurisdiction to extend time limits if it considers it just and equitable to do so but it is not likely that it would be prepared to extend the time limit to 3 years I am afraid.

taratill :

I am really really sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Thanks. That's a shame but maybe its for the best rather than having to go through it all again. I appreciate your help.