taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have been suspended from work with allegations of workplace

I have been suspended from work with allegations of workplace bullying and racial discrimination, the management have put in nasty statements against me and several members of the team also.I have been employed for 13yrs and have never had this problem before. I am currently under my doctor
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. what would you like to know about this?

Customer:

I would like to know what I can do about this. I know that my company has not done a thorough investigation nor have they carried out requests that I have asked in full

taratill :

Hi if you have not already done so you should raise a formal grievance about their failure to carry out a full investigation or to fully respond to your concerns. Your employer will have a duty to consider your grievance and to come back to you with the outcome.

taratill :

If your employer decides to discipline you for this then you can also appeal against any disciplinary action that is taken against you.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.

taratill :

If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Can I raise this grievance whilst suspended ?. Also as I know these allegations are very serious and quite complex I feel that my company are going on by just what is being said and not fully investigating. Parts of the complaint for discrimination are down to the way I done weekly rosters but have explained that I can prove I did not discriminate, but they do not wish to discuss them

taratill :

Hi yes as a part of your investigation your employer should look at your evidence and your side of the story. If they do not then it is appropriate for you to raise a grievance even though you are suspended.

Customer:

This is quite complex as the managers have given nasty statements about me, bea'ring in mind they are new and only been within there positions for around 7months. I have a very good track record within my 13years with the company and truly believe this is a workplace mobbing instigated by this management as I had already raised a grievance against them

taratill :

It is terrible for employees when things like this happen. You need to be sure to raise the grievance to protect your postition.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer.

Customer:

I have already had my first disciplinary investigation and have a second one on 6th August and they are looking to conclude on that day, I have not been signed off sick by my doctor but she has submitted written correspondence stating I am not in the correct frame of mind to address this at present, they are now stating if I don't attend it will be dealt with in my absence

taratill :

Hi that is not reasonable, they should give an alternative date if you are unable to attend the first one for health reasons.

Customer:

This is the second time my doctor has cancelled, however I am going to attend this meeting and ask for the rosters to be addressed, if they do not address it and they conclude with a decision do I raise my grievance when I appeal, also should the people that have put in complaints have stated times n dates when this was meant to of happened as it would just appear that they are saying whatever they want and management are believing it

taratill :

Hi if you are going to wait till after the meeting the correct process is to appeal rather than to raise a grievance. The appeal can address all of the points you would have raised in the grievance. If you want to complain before the meeting then the correct process is to raise a grievance.

Customer:

Would it be advisable to go and see a solicitor in my area with my documents

taratill :

It is up to you whether you want to do that now or wait until the outcome of the grievance or appeal process.

Customer:

If I get sacked on these grounds I will never work again and I need to prove that I am not racial nor a bully , but what hope do I have with tunnel visioned management

taratill :

They need to have evidence that you have done this to fairly dismiss you and to investigate properly. You need to be sure you protect yourself by either raising a grievance or appealing against any action taken against you.

taratill :

Please do remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.

Customer:

My colleague was sacked 2weeks ago because one of the complainants had accused her of racial discrimination, then went onto state that it was only my colleague that asked her to speak in English but she has put in her statement that I ask her to speak English

Customer:

Are statements alone enough to say that I am guilty of this even though the majority of statements are near enough written the same no actual times situations or examples have been given just more like a witch hunt to get me out as I have progressed immensely throughout the company

taratill :

Hi I cannot comment on the evidence unfortunately as this is a quesiton and answer site. The employer must have reasonable belief and follow a fair procedure. It does not seem that they are following a fair procedure if they are not prepared to hear your side of the story. On the basis of what you say you have the right to appeal and to claim in the event that you are dismissed. If you need more in depth advise it is advisable to see a local employment lawyer.

taratill :

All the best with this. Please remember to rate my answer. Thank you.

Customer:

OK thank you for your time and advice

taratill :

No problem all the best.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters