taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hello, We are building company specialised in residential

Customer Question

We are building company specialised in residential area. We are now in dispute with our customer and we are negotiating. We want to settle by signing an agreement.
The question is about the name of this type of document. We named it Compromise Agreement according to some legal advise years ago, however our customer disagree and he said it should not be called Compromise Agreement.
Should this type of settlement be called Compromise Agreement or not? If no, then how.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Does this dispute involve employment law?

Customer:

We are independent company and the customer hired us to do some building work for him at his property

Customer:

I am not sure if this dispute involve employment law

taratill :

The term 'compromise agreement' is one which is specific to disputes between employer and employee. It would not be appropriate for this to cover the kind of dispute that you are in.

Customer:

it is sort of temporary employment I guess

Customer:

how should we call it then?

taratill :

~What is the dispute about?

Customer:

we did not finish the work on time and we agreed to pay back some money to the customer and let him hire somebody else to finish it

taratill :

You just need to write to them and say that the payment is made in 'full and final settlement' of any claims that may arise from your contract to do the work.

taratill :

if they were then to institute proceedings you can give evidence that the claim was settled and apply for costs.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.