29905560

i am having trouble getting jobs because of my crimnal record,

i am having trouble getting jobs because of my crimnal record, job offers getting withdrawn, feel unfairly treated as this on in past, what can i do
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please provide details of your criminal record
Customer:

criminal damage and assault, goes back 10 years,

Ben Jones :

what was the conviction?

Customer:

probation, caution etc

Ben Jones :

what types of jobs are you applying for?

Customer:

care assistant, ive been carer

Customer:

4 ovr 10 years, i am at present senior, i hav nvq 2 and 3 and loads of other qualifations which ive worked hard for

Ben Jones :

so you need an enhanced criminal check?

Customer:

yes

Ben Jones :

Sadly the employer can consider past convictions even if they happened some years ago. Whilst by now the conviction would be considered spent and you do not have to declare it if you are asked whether you have an unspent conviction or a criminal record, if you are subject to an enhanced check then this could still reveal your criminal past and an employer can consider it when making a decision on whether to employ you or not. In ‘normal’ jobs where enhanced checks are not necessary you would no longer have to declare these convictions but in this type of industry the employers could still get details of your past and make a decision based on this. There is unfortunately no law which prevents them from taking this into account so you would either have to hope that at some point an employer will not consider this relevant any longer or apply for jobs which do not require the enhanced level of criminal checking.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

well this information i already knew, i am good at my job and enjoy it and do not want 2 throw it away bcus of my bad up bringing, wandering if mayb talking 2 my mp would benifit me more, hav turned my life round so dnt see why i shud still have 2 b punished

Ben Jones :

ok I appreciate you knew this but there is not much else I can say because the above is your legal position. Sadly I cannot tell you something which does not exist - talking to your MP could only result in them trying to negotiate something with the employer but the MP cannot just overturn the law as it stands now, they can petition in Parliament for this but it is unlikely this will change the current law as there have already been substantial changes introduced this year and it does take years for any changes to come through

Customer:

thanx 4 ure time

Ben Jones :

you are welcome