29905560

I was offered a post with a local authority Council in May

I was offered a post with a local authority Council in May this year and started work with them on 7 July this year. This was offered as a permanent position and I resigned from a permanent position to take the offer. On starting with the Council it became clear that they are about to make large scale redundancies and I am likely to be made redundant in a few weeks. They knew about the need to make redundancies at the time of my interview but did not inform me of this (nor did I ask). What are my rights (if any) and can I make any claims on the grounds that they withheld significant information.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is your contractual notice period in the new job?

Customer:

One month

Ben Jones :

Whilst this may appear to be morally wrong. From a legal point of view your rights would be rather limited. This is because in the first 2 years of your employment you would not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means the employer could legally dismiss you for more or less any reason as long as they give you the required notice period required by contract. So even if there was nothing happening with the job and no changes were necessary, the employer could have legally dismissed you at any point in the first 2 years simply by giving you a month’s notice period. Therefore, the fact that they did not disclose the relevant information would not have changed your legal rights and the most you can expect in the circumstances is a month’s notice. As long as they give you that they would be acting legally and you will not be able to pursue them for anything else, even if your job opportunities may have been affected as a result.

Customer:

Unfortunately that is what I thought - but I wanted to check. Thank you

Ben Jones :

you are welcome and sorry it may not have been the answer you were hoping for