29905560

I am being made redundant. I am working my 9 week notice period. If

I am being made redundant. I am working my 9 week notice period.
If I find a job in the first couple of weeks, when would my redundancy be paid? Straight away or at the end of the 9 week notice period?
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean you will bring your employment to an early end and not work the remainder of your notice?
Customer:

That is correct. My employer is happy for me not to work my full notice period. I also have the feeling that the company may cease trading during the notice period.

Ben Jones :

The law does not specify when you should be paid your redundancy and generally it is accepted that this would happen as soon as possible after the termination of your employment, and certainly no later than the next pay date after your termination. If your employer is happy for you to terminate your employment early to start a new job then that is when the termination will take place, not at the end of the 9 week notice period. The employer could then try and pay you ASAP but if that is not possible then you are looking to be paid by the next pay run following your termination date.

Customer:

we get paid weekly, so redundancy should get paid almost as soon as I leave?

Customer:

If business ceases trading during my notice period what would be the outcome for myself and my employer. My employer has been good to me.

Ben Jones :

if that is the case then yes, it should come with your last pay run. If the business ceases trading then that would amount to a termination in itself (a redundancy) so should not change anything - the issue is whether the employer is able to pay you what you are due - do you think that may be an issue?

Customer:

Yes I think that money is very tight and it is possible that they may not have enough to pay redundancy.

Ben Jones :

if they become insolvent and cannot pay your redundancy then you will be covered by the Government's National Insurance Fund which can pay out redundancy and some owed wages, holidays, etc in the event the employer is made insolvent

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'