29905560

can a parent attend appointments at the job centre with me

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Have you been told that they cannot?

Customer:

Indirectly - my Stepson is claiming Jobseekers Allowance and he has been told that his benefits have been stopped for a period of time. My husband has asked him why, and he maintains that there is no reason - we are sure that there is a reason. My husband has said that he will go with him to the jobcentre to enquire as to why. My stepson has called him to say my husband can't attend any appointments with him - we would like to know if this is true.

Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, ***** ***** this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

Ben Jones :

Just before I respond can I check how old your stepson is please?

Customer: 19
Ben Jones :

As the person is over 8 they are an adult and will be able to make their own decisions in this respect and decide on who wants to accompany them to this meeting. If you wanted to attend with them, they can allow you to do so with their consent but if they have decided that you would not be attending with them, you cannot forcefully attend. The person can tell the DWP that they do not wish for you to attend and that they do not want you sitting with them to discuss their personal matters. If they were happy for you to attend then you can also be there with them. So there is no specific rule which states that parents cannot attend but if that was his decision then you will have to accept it and can only attend with his blessing, so you would need to arrange that directly with him.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

Many thanks that answers our question.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best