29905560

An employee working an eight hour shift is entitled to a meal

Customer Question

An employee working an eight hour shift is entitled to a meal provided by the employer. Is this correct- please advise

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. This is certainly not a law - nothing in UK legislation provides for an employer to supply a meal for employees who work longer than 8 shifts. This could be a benefit provided by the employer if they wanted to but it is left entirely at their own discretion. If this is contained in the employee's contract or a workplace policy then it would apply, but not otherwise. The majority of workers in the country work 8 hour days, but only a minority of employers actually provide any meals

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks