29905560

I work for a large health organisation and my last contract

I work for a large health organisation and my last contract ran out at the end of may 2014. People in work have had their hours reduced and i was wondering what sort of notice they would have to give me about reducing my hours. I have been working full time for them since may 2013.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does your continuous service with them go back to 2103?
Customer:

Yes - from 28 may 2013, i have been employed by the NHS since then but my last contract ran out at the end of May 2014. It has not been renewed since then but I have done the same job since my last contract ran out. I have had some post operation leave as well after that time but have been paid as usual.

Ben Jones :

Do you have a contractual notice period in place for termination of your employment?

Customer:

I havent had any contract or mention of a contract sice 28 may 2014. I have been working there on my normal hours since that date.

Ben Jones :

Your employer could quite easily change your current contract by simply giving you a week’s notice. This is because they can terminate your current employment by giving you the statutory notice period you are entitled to (1 week due to the length of time you have worked there for) and immediately re-employ you on the new contract which incorporates the changes. You are not protected against unfair dismissal until you have had at least 2 years’ service with the employer so the employer does not need to justify the reasons for terminating the current contract, which means that as long as you are given the week’s notice as per law, they can end the current contract and re-issue a new contract with any changes they deem necessary.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

I was hoping for a bit more notice period for change of contract seeing as though I havent had a contract for over 2 months now and have never been told my conntract was/wasnt beeing renewd.

Customer:

thanks

Ben Jones :

I am afraid the law only entitles you to a week's notice in your first 2 years of employment, unless you have a written contract which entitles you to more

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position?

Customer:

Yes thanks.