29905560

Peter worked as a supervisor at a local saw mill. To increase

Peter worked as a supervisor at a local saw mill. To increase the speed of production he tied back the guards on some of the saws. This resulted in one of his team receiving a very nasty cut to his arm. The organisation dismissed Peter as a result of this. The organisation has now received a request for a reference from another saw mill where Peter has applied to work. How should it respond to the request?
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is this a hypothetical question?
Customer:

Hi yes hypothetical

Customer:

is this ok? don't want to use real names etc

Customer:

what process should we follow

Customer:

hi are you there

Customer:

will be off line but would be helpful if you could answer this one today

Customer:

Ben Jones :

Hi, first of all an employer is not obliged to provide a reference at all so if you do not feel comfortable about doing this then you are able to refuse to issue a reference. However, if you are happy to provide one you have a couple of options - you can either provide a simple factual reference, which simply states the person's dates of employment and job and leave it at that, or if you feel that you have to go into more detail, you can mention the incident and the dismissal as long as you ensure that you only tell the truth about what happened. In other words, just use information which you know is true and which you had obtained following a fair investigation and disciplinary procedure. It is up to you as to how much detail you go into and you can simply say he was dismissed and the reasons for it or provide a more detailed explanation as to what led to the dismissal.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer: