29905560

Hi, I have a question regarding UK employment law. Specifically

Customer Question

I have a question regarding UK employment law.
Specifically I would like to know what my legal requirements and rights are when I 'hand in my notice' to my employer.
Basically when I inform them I am leaving the company. How long to I legally have to work for after informing them given that I am paid monthly?
Reason I ask is that in my current company Serco Northlink ferries one of my colleagues recently left he informed them in writing, although the contract says 3 months, normal practice was to work for 1 month before leaving. However they threatened to sue him and impound his wages from his new employer!
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have a written contract in place that stipulates the notice period you must give on leaving?

Ben Jones :

Hi, not sure if you saw my initial query above - Do you have a written contract in place that stipulates the notice period you must give on leaving?