29905560

my hours have cut to 140 per month I been told if my hours

my hours have cut to 140 per month I been told if my hours are over this I am to take time off the following month whilst over staff have been given extra hours and do not need
to take the extra hours off the following month I am being discriminated
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have contractually fixed hours of work per month?

Customer:

yes my hours were 40 per week when cut all staffs were to be cut as we lost a big contract but I am the only one been told to take surplus hours off unpaid the follwing week or month

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

20 years

Ben Jones :

did your contract allow the employer to change your hours?

Customer:

don't know

Ben Jones :

What the employer is proposing to do is not discrimination because that only applies if you are being treated detrimentally for a ‘protected characteristic, such as because of your gender, age, race, religion, etc. I see no evidence that any of these apply here and are behind the employer’s decision to do this and even if you are being singled out for other reasons, it does not make it discriminatory and would not be unlawful. Legally speaking there is nothing stopping the employer from treating employees differently in these circumstances as long as there are no discriminatory reasons behind their decision, which as mentioned does not appear to be the case here. You may nevertheless challenge the employer over this, for example you have the formal grievance procedure you can use where you make a formal complaint to the employer internally and can appeal the outcome if you are not satisfied with it.

Customer:

ok thank you

Ben Jones :

you are welcome