taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I am a 51 year old lady I was held up and robbed on sunday

Customer Question

I am a 51 year old lady
I was held up and robbed on sunday 31.8.14 in a betting shop which is my place of work. This happened once before 2 days earlier. My employer made no effort to increase security after the first time. I am now suffering anxiety. I want to know if I have any grounds to sue my employer?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for and had you raised concerns about security in advance of this happening.

taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I have worked there for roughly 4 years. I haven't raised concerns as I didn't imagine I would be left in the arcade section alone and anything like this would ever happen

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Are you suffering any form of financial loss as a result of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only the time off work im having due to me being scared of being in work. Apart from that. No

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Have you been paid for that time off work and have you raised the issue with your employer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well when i started the job i was never given a contract of employment. I do not get paid for time i have off. My employer is aware of what happened but i have not seen him to raise issues as he is very rarely in the establishment

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
how long did you need to have off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well it only happened on sunday just gone. I have attempted to go into work but found it too dificult to work.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, have you been to your doctor and been signed off sick?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No i havent. I wanted to try to keep going to work but i do intend to go to my gp and see what happens

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok well the only kind of claim that could possibly be brought in these circumstances would be in personal injury. This would only apply if an injury occurs (which could be mental, which was reasonably foreseeable and you suffer a financial loss as a result. It may be that if your doctor feels that you cannot work for a period of time that you will be able to bring a claim.

IN the meantime I would suggest you raise a grieavnce on health and safety grounds that you were left in a vulnerable position and that you may suffer a loss as a result of your employer failing to care for your health and safety. You can ask your employer to pay you for the time you have to have off sick and say you will consider bringing a claim if they do not.

You cannot be dismissed for raising such a grievance.

If you have any further questions please do ask.