29905560

I left my last job via a settlement agreement with my previous

Customer Question

I left my last job via a settlement agreement with my previous employer via advice of my solicitor but now what should I say at a job interview if they ask the question e.g.did you resign?whydid you leave yourlast job?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did you have an agreed reference from them?
JACUSTOMER-3lte1u08- : Yes, I did but it was faily basic effectively consisting of one line stating the job and title Ihad ith them and the duration of my employement
JACUSTOMER-3lte1u08- : Sorry for the delay in replying to you sooner asIhad aproblem with my account just now! Can you please advise me now? Thanks.
JACUSTOMER-3lte1u08- : Hi Ben, is it possible to give me some advice now as I have a job interview this afternoon? Many thanks.
JACUSTOMER-3lte1u08- : Please try to advise ASAP and I will keep checking this page as I can not afford to pay again for another expert here to reply to my question, thanks Ben.
Ben Jones :

Hi, sorry I was offline when you replied. You neither resigned, nor were you dismissed from this job - leaving under a settlement agreement is basically a mutually agreed exit, so you do not have to say you resigned. As to the reasons why you left then you can go into as much or as little detail as you wish - if the reference is basic then it will not really reveal any details about the reasons for leaving so you do not have to say more than you want to, you can be as economic with the circumstances as you wish, obviously without lying.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

JACUSTOMER-3lte1u08- : Thanks Ben but surely, this will let them see a red flag?
Ben Jones : Not necessarily as each employer has differing points of view in such circumstances but you have to be honest and leaving under a settlement agreement is not a resignation unless you and the employer had agreed for that to be the reason and it was backed up by specific wording in any reference they were to issue you with. Hope this clarifies?
Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks